My work has been published in Landscape and Urban Planning, Land Use Policy, Landscape Architecture, Landscape Ecology, and Environmental Management, among other publications. In addition, applied work has been published in collaboration with the National Park Service and other agencies and organizations.
[note: 1992 name change from Hall to Erickson]
- Erickson, Donna. 2006. Metrogreen: Connecting Open Space in North American Cities. Washington, D.C.: Island Press.
- Erickson, Donna, 2004. “Green infrastructure: The interplay of historic city form and contemporary greenway implementation in two North American cities.” Landscape and Urban Planning, 68(2-3): 199-221.
- Kazmierski, Jonathan, Megan Kram, Elizabeth Mills, David Phemister, Nicholas Reo, Christopher Riggs, Ryan Tefertiller and Donna Erickson. “Conservation planning at the landscape scale: A landscape ecology method for regional land trusts.” In press, Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 47(5): 709-736.
- Ryan, Robert, Donna Erickson, and Raymond De Young, 2003. “Farmers’ motivations for adopting conservation practices along riparian zones in a Midwestern agricultural watershed.” Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 46(1): 19-37.
- Erickson, Donna, Robert Ryan and Raymond De Young. 2002. “Woodlots in the rural landscape: Non-industrial private landowner motivations and management attitudes in a Michigan case study.” Landscape and Urban Planning, 58:101-112.
- Erickson, Donna L. and Robert W. Marans, 1999. “Participatory planning: Assessing methods for obtaining children’s input in park design.” Bulletin of the International Association of People-Environment Studies Association; special issue on Children, Youth and Environments No. 13, Summer 1999.
- Erickson, Donna L., 1997. "Deserving a wider audience: An interactive process for graduate student research in landscape architecture and planning." Journal of Planning Education and Research, 16: 137-144.
- Allan, J. David, Donna L. Erickson, and John Fay, 1997. "The influence of land use on stream integrity across multiple spatial scales: An interdisciplinary approach to river basin planning." Journal of Freshwater Biology, 37(1): 149-161.
- McCann, Elizabeth, Shannon Sullivan, Donna Erickson and Raymond De Young, 1997. "Environmental awareness, economic orientation, and farming practices: A comparison of organic and conventional farmers." Environmental Management, 21 (5): 747-758.
- Roth, Nancy, J. David Allan and Donna L. Erickson, 1996. "Landscape influences on stream biotic integrity at multiple spatial scales." Landscape Ecology, 11 (3): 141-156.
- Sullivan, Shannon, Elizabeth McCann, Raymond De Young and Donna Erickson, 1996. "Farmers' attitudes about farming and the environment: A survey of conventional and organic farmers." Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics, 9 (2): 123-143.
- Kleiman, Richard and Donna Erickson, 1996. "Landscape change in an agricultural watershed: the effect of parcelization on riparian forest cover." Environment and Planning B, 23: 25-36.
- Allan, J. David, Donna L. Erickson and John Fay, 1995. “Managing the landscape/waterscape interface: An interdisciplinary approach using GIS.” Bulletin of the North American Benthological Society, 12(1): 86.
- Erickson, Donna L., 1995. "Rural land-use and land-cover change: Implications for local planning in the River Raisin Watershed (USA)." Land Use Policy, 12(3): 223-236.
- Erickson, Donna L., 1995. "Policies for the planning and reclamation of coal-mined landscapes: An international comparison." Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 38(4):453-467.
- Erickson, Donna and Raymond De Young, 1993. "Management of farm woodlots: Some psychological and landscape patterns." Journal of Environmental Systems, 22(3): 233-247.
- Hall, Donna, 1991. "Landscape planning: Functionalism as a motivating concept from landscape ecology and human ecology." Landscape and Urban Planning, 21: 13-19.
- Hall, Donna, Joan Hirschman, and Frederick Steiner, 1990. "The design of nature: The use of landscape ecology in bird habitat design." Paper in refereed proceedings: Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture, 1989 Conference, Amelia Island Florida. p. 121-128
- Hall, Donna, Frederick Steiner, Hubert Van Lier, Ingrid Duchhart, and William Budd, 1989. "Planning new landscapes: A comparison of the Columbia Basin Project and the IJsselmeerpolders" Landscape and Urban Planning, 18: 97-116.
- Hall, Donna, 1986. "Reclamation planning for coal strip-mined lands in Montana." Landscape and Urban Planning, 14: 45-55.
Chapters of Books
- Erickson, Donna, 2004. “Connecting lines across the landscape: Implementing metropolitan greenway networks in North America.” In: Rob H.G. Jongman and Gloria Pungetti (Eds.) Ecological Networks and Greenways: New Paradigms for Ecological Planning. Cambridge University Press. p. 200-221.
- Tamminga, Ken, Louise Mozingo, Donna Erickson and John Harrington, 2001. “Interweaving ecology in the landscape architecture curriculum.” In: Bart Johnson and Kristina Hill (Eds), Ecology and Design: Frameworks for Learning. Island Press: Washington, D.C. p. 357-395.
- Hall, Donna, and William Budd, 1991. "Landscape ecology and landscape planning." In: Rosong Wang, Jingshu Zhao and Zhiyun Ouyang (Eds.), Human Systems Ecology. China Science and Technology Press: Beijing. p. 51-62.
Book and Conference Reviews
- Erickson, Donna, 2003. Landscapes on the Edge: the 40th Annual International Federation of Landscape Architects World Congress, May 25-29, 2003. Telus Convention Center, Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Review for Landscape Journal (In press).
- Erickson, Donna, 1999. Review of In Praise of Common Sense: Planning the Ordinary. A Physical Planning History of the New Towns in the IJsselmeerpolders. Landscape and Urban Planning, 44: 228-230.
- Erickson, Donna, 1999. Review of Wilderness by Design: Landscape Architecture and the National Park Service. Society and Natural Resources, 12: 703-705.
- Erickson, Donna, 1996. Review of Ecological Identity: Becoming a Reflective Environmentalist. Landscape Journal, 15(2): 169-171.
- Erickson, Donna, 1996. Review of Progress in Rural Policy and Planning. Landscape and Urban Planning, 36: 83-85.
Articles Not Subject to Peer-Review
- Erickson, Donna, 1997. "Implementation of metropolitan greenway networks: Seven case studies." Planning and Zoning News, 15(4): 15-20.
- Milos, Melinda, Ju-Yu Hsieh and Donna Erickson, 1995. "Greenway infrastructure planning from a local perspective." Paper in: Proceedings of the Fourth International Outdoor Recreation and Tourism Trends Symposium. University of Minnesota: St. Paul, Minnesota. p. 561-566.
- Hall, Donna, 1991. "The role of local planning in the preservation of historic districts: Case studies from Washington State." Small Town. 21(4): 12-24.
- Hall, Donna,1991. "New landscape from the sea." Landscape Architecture Magazine, 81(7): 40.
Monographs and Professional Reports
- Erickson, Donna, Raymond De Young and Robert Ryan, 1998. “Riparian zones in the River Raisin Watershed: Trends, programs, environmental education and inter-agency cooperation.” Report to the USDA and to the organizations and agencies of the River Raisin Watershed.
- Erickson, Donna and Anneke Louisse, 1997. "Greenway implementation in metropolitan regions: A comparative case study of North American examples." Monograph published by the National Park Service Rivers, Trails, and Conservation Assistance Program.
- Erickson, Donna, 1997. "Colonial Point Memorial Forest: Preliminary Trail design and management plan for ecosystem protection and visitor use." Report to the University of Michigan Bioligical Station.
- Hall, Donna, 1988. "Vegetation inventory: Washington State University, Pullman, Washington." Report to Washington State University Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture.
- Hall, Donna, 1988. "Nature recreation: Design for the Oostvaardersplassen Nature Reserve, The Netherlands." Report to the Rijksdienst voor de IJsselmeerpolders, Lelystad, The Netherlands.
- Hall, Donna, 1987. "Landscape planning in new agricultural areas: A comparative study of the Columbia Basin Project (USA) and the IJsselmeerpolders (The Netherlands)”. Monograph published jointly by the Agricultural University, Wageningen, The Netherlands and Washington State University, Pullman, Washington.
Back to Top